This was Gclubs First EVER Majority Female event. We had several friends join us, including Annie, James, David, Sadia, Ole, Ole's Mom, Lynn, Beth , Michael and the two "Kissing Girls" They were soo sweet:) . The weekend found us full of energy ready to go out and have a good beer starting at 9am. We mostly drank this weekend. We had a campsite right on the river, so we also swam quite a bit, paddled kayaks back and forth along the river and had a great time. This year saw us making a change of plans, David arrived early and the "creap" factor of the Blue Hole turned him off during the Day. Actually the majic of the blue hole does not start until after dark. Dave alternated our plan's and sent us to K&L. K&L Ranch Camp, a urban dump, over crowded , over priced, poor service. In the future we will avoid this tourist rip off place like the plague. However, having given my opinion, I must say we had a wonderful time anyway. Sunday on our return trip found us stopping off at Lady Bird Johnsons, Wildflower Research Center. A great place to visit. We plan to return to Austin area for a summer urban camping trip, just so we can go back to the Wildflower center.
The Gay Outdoor Club makes one to two trips a year to the Blue Hole campground and Guadeloupe River float. This is one of our favorite trips. It meets all of our needs; EASY Weekend, Fun Environment, Great People, facilities for RV's, Tent Camping, Restaurants, exciting adventure, WONDERFUL swim hole. 2002 will bring us into our Third year going to this place. Plan on joining us if you have RV's, Tents, Car, campers, or are the HOTEL and B&B type. This trip is centrally located in the Texas Hill country so we hope to see members from Houston, Austin, San Antonio and Dallas all meet up for this adventure. We leave at various times via Car pool and end up in Wimberley , Texas at the Blue Hole Campground. The Blue Hole Campground has a 1.5 acre Artesian spring fed lake with wonderful cypress and picnic areas. The weekend is mostly water, swimming, floating, eating and drinking (if you like). Gruene Texas has the oldest dance hall in Texas and some great restaurants as well. There are showers and indoor toilet facilities at the campground. You don't need to bring a shovel.
K L Ranch Camp
|5300 River Rd
New Braunfels, TX Map
K&L Ranch Camp, 5300 River Road. From Dallas take I-35 South, to 46 right, River Road (about l.5 miles off I-35), right, K &L is after the second bridge on River Road.
Stress Rating: EASY.
Camping: Car Camping : Bring the chairs, coolers, air mattress, snacks, swimming suits, towels, hat, sun screen, bug spray, humor, etc etc etc.
Trip Details: (This page is for planning,Please check calendar for actual dates:)
1. Friday (May 31) Leave various times - Car Pool? Friday, head to Wimberley Texas. Once the Host knows who will be going, they can help coordinate car pools, etc.
2. Sat (June 1) 08:00am head to breakfast restaurant, just up the road.
3. Sat (June 1) 09:00am head to River Outfitters in Gruene ,Texas.
4. Sat (June 1) 10:00am Start floating river, taking pictures, and drinking beverages of choice. Very relaxing......
5. Sat (June 1) 02:00pm End of float head to BBQ shack on river for great Ribs.
6. Sat (June 1) 04:00pm Rest around campground, swim at the swimming hole, stroll around Wimberley, or whatever...
7. Sat (June 1) 07:00pm Head to Tex-Mex restaurant up the road. Details name?? , Who knows it's up the road...
8. Sat (June 1) 08:00am Head to Breakfast restaurant, just up the road.
9. Sun (June 2) 09:00am 2nd segment of floating. Today we do the shortened version.
10. Sun (June 2) 01:00pm Have lunch at a restaurant in New Braunsfels and then head back to Dallas.
Maps: Note location of Blue Hole Campground, Look for Cemetery and Baptist Church (Bright LIGHTED sign) as you enter town, follow road between church and cemetery to Blue Hole entrance.
Driving directions: I-35 South to past Austin, at Kyle, State road 150 to State road 3237 to State road 183 to State Road 12 to Wimberley. There are alternate ways to get there. The Campground is near the Historic Center, close to the river. On the same road as the new "Biker Shop".
If you are planning to join us, please e-mail me with the following information:
1. Your name
2. Your e-mail address
3. Your home phone #
4. Your cell phone # (if you have one)
5. Let me know if you plan to car pool with others or just meet everyone at the campground sometime Friday night. If you want to car pool, let me know if you will be a willing driver (including the kind of car, SUV, or Van you have), or if you will need to find a ride with someone else. I ask all those riding with others to share the cost of the gas used driving to and from Wimberley. I will do my best to help arrange the car pools based on what part of town you live in AND the approximate time you plan to leave on Friday and return on Sunday.
Once I know who will be joining us, I will send an e-mail to all the participants giving everyone e-mail addresses and phone #'s so we can coordinate car pools, leaving times on Friday, June 1st., and anything else needed to be discussed.
Michael Railey, Trip Host,
You can also reach me at my Cell 469-387-2530 or e-mail