The Gay Outdoor Club went to Mineral Wells State Park for a day of
Rock Climbing, Socializing and Picnicking . Mineral Wells is about 45 minutes west of Fort Worth. The park has swimming lake, hiking trails , camping facilities
and rock climbing area. Toward the middle of the week some of us just wanted to
get out we didn't care about how hot it was, so off we headed to Mineral Wells
The plan was to leave Dallas early in order to be setup and rock climbing by
8am. Oh well, we did pretty well, we were climbing by 9am. The day was bright
and rather cool for July at least before 11am. By noon we were all feeling the
heat, by 1pm we were ready to call it a day. Fortunately Mineral Wells is
covered with oak trees and pretty shady. Everyone had a great time.
We miss not climbing more often.
See you on the side
Stress Rating: EASY. No climbing required.
Activities: Pot-luck picnic, Day Hiking, socializing, climbing, kayaking (calm, scenic lake).
WHAT to BRING: Lunch, Water, Money for park fees( $5.00) good Humor. $ For ICECREAM,
Camping fee's. Tent and RV sites available. Call park directly if you need RV site.
Some recommendations: Setting up ropes is time consuming and requires heavy lifting
by your Event host, you arriving early enough to assist your host and at the end
of the day assist with ropes removal is greatly appreciated.
WHEN: TBA, Check Calendar
However, a few proviso's; For rock climbing the park must not have had
heavy rains for 48hours prior to our Event date.
IF it has RAINED 48 hours before: wait until 7am EVENT date, then call the
PARK and CONFIRM that the climbing area is OPEN if you are only interested in
climbing. Otherwise, we will be kayaking, hiking, car camping.
Park Number: 940/328-1171
START TIME: 8am day of event.
Muster Point: Rock climbing area, lower level.
PLEASE RSVP : (email preferred)
PLEASE RSVP :
100 Park Road 71
Mineral Wells TX 76067
2 hours west of Dallas Texas. Just south of Mineral Wells , Texas.
Directions: I-30 west through Fort Worth, merge with Hwy 20 , continue
west, at Weatherford , Texas take St. Hwy 180 north to
This road goes through Weatherford , Texas and runs right into the
courthouse, follow circle around to back door and continue to Mineral
About 8 miles past Weatherford look for a bridge crossing over hwy. Just
past this bridge is the entrance to Mineral Wells State Park. If you
reach the town of Mineral Wells, you have just gone past park entrance.
Instructions for the Day:
1. Stop at park office and register as a rock climber. $5.00 park fee
$3.00 climbing fee.
2. Bring climbing receipt with you to climbing area.
3. Bring water/Gatoraide, snack's-fruit, chips, etc, Picnic lunch
3. Park has swimming area, hiking, trails, rock climbing and lake.
5. Bring ground cloth, or other comfort items as needed for day picnic
on ground area.
4. Bring rock climbing shoes. The club has a limited supply of shoes,
fit is important, it is recommended that you rent shoes to fit at
REI for the weekend.~ 12.00.I have shoes from Women's 4.5 to Men's 13.5.
5. Club has enough harnesse's, however, if you have rock climbing gear
please bring with you.
6. Have a good day, assist with breakdown in the evening. Ropes get
7. This is not a Beginning Rock climbing class day, No experience is
needed, however, safety is your first concern, ALWAYS, have someone
spot you, and do a safety check prior to climbing.
8. All minors must be directly accompanied by a parent or guardian.
11. If you decide to camp, I recommend reservations, see number listed
0. PLEASE RSVP so I know how many to expect.
I will be there to set up ropes at 8am on Event day, I will be taking down
ropes at ~5pm.
I will provide check out for beginners starting at 9am. Feel free to
and assist with rope setup.
My Cell: 469-387-2530
Looking forward to climbing with you,